Ladybug Farm

Randy, Kelly, Andrew, Geoffrey, Sara, Skipper the dog, Ben, Luke and Sophie the cats, Sonny and Zippy the horses, a tank load of fish, 2 hamsters, a snake, a chicken coop of hens and a whole load of mink.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Radiation Appointment

I met with my Radiation Oncologist, Dr. Maureen Nolan, yesterday. She is a sweetie with a great sense of humor. I was able to persuede her to start my radiation on November 20 so I can still go on my scrapbook weekend (10-12) and our little trip to Pennsylvania (13-19).

The Study Results........

When you have less then 3 lymph nodes with cancer they only radiate that breast and the treatments lasts for 4 weeks. This is the course that I normally would have had. However they currently have a research study going on in Canada, the US, Australia and New Zealand, which is trying to prove that radiation to the lymph area or underarm (as well as the breast) would also be beneficial and reduce the chance of the cancer returning to that breast, bones or other organs.

Due to many factors, I am an ideal candidate for participation in this study (there are only 25-30 woman allowed from our area). The hesitation on my part was because the study meant having radiation for 6 weeks verses the normal 4, plus the fact that the study is broken into two treatment groups, the standard (breast only) and the regional radiation (breast and lymph area). I had a 50/50 chance of getting in the "good" group.

After much thought, discussion and prayer I decided to go in the study. If this is my chance to beat this thing I wanted every possible treatment option available.

Well....I found out yesterday that I got the standard group. I have to say I am somewhat disappointed. You are chosen randomly by computer so there is not even a "person" I could bribe to get me in (just kidding).

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding...." Proverbs 3:5. My favorite verse. While it doesn't seem fair, I have to believe that there is a reason...maybe someone needs that additinal treatment more than me. So I have to let it go.

I thought about pulling out of the study because really who wants to go for 6 weeks when I can get the exact same treatment in 4!! But I have decided to stay in for 2 reasons: somebody has to be in that group. The study would be worthless if everyone backed out of the control group. So hopefully at some point in time every women will be able to have the additional treatment. The 2nd reason is because regardless of which group you are in they do a pretty intensive 5 year followup...xrays, exams, bloodwork, etc. If you read my previous blog you would know that if I wasn't in this study, once my treatments are done, except for a yearly mammogram, thats it.

So I had a 45 minute CAT scan which helped them "line me up" and tatto me for the radiation treatments. The 7 tattos are about the size of a small mole and as the Radiation Tech said yesterday, they are the kind you get in prison, dab on the ink and stick you with a needle. Kinda cool! Its a good thing I don't have a needle phobia because this whole entire process would have been a nightmare.

I can expect fatique and energy loss, irritated and red skin (like a sunburn), soreness in the chest area and possible cough and shortness of breath. Sounds like a walk in the part after chemo! I will have 29 treatments, 5 days a week for appoximately 6 weeks. This will all take place in Halifax since there are only 2 machines in Nova Scotia (the other one is in Cape Breton) and takes about a 1/2 start to finish. My dear, sweet husband wants to drive in everyday...1 1/2 hours, each way!!! He wants to be there for everything but my good sense may prevail as I am working out a schedule with the Rad. Tech. Maybe work it so I can have one late on Monday and one early on Tuesday so I can stay overnight at Mom and Dad's. If I did that once or twice in the week than the travelling might not be so bad and I can bring Sara up to Mom's with me. I'll let you know how it works out.

Love to everyone. Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

  • At Wed Oct 18, 10:59:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Kelly:
    Glad to hear you were accepted into the study but am disappointed that you were not chosen for the treatment to the axillary area. But like you said, maybe it is for the best. It, at least, reduces your chances of increased lymphedema in the arm. Make sure they are giving you the correct dose for the radiation because of the effect it can have on the lung. We don't want it to be like your chemo when you got too much for the first dose. Did you see Dr. Sharpiro on CTV tonight? She has a book out about what she went through with her Breast Ca. I think she kept a journal when she went through the surgery and treatment and that is what she has used to write the book. Maybe someone will be kind enough to pick it up for you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home