Ladybug Farm

Randy, Kelly, Andrew, Geoffrey, Sara, Skipper the dog, Ben, Luke and Sophie the cats, Sonny and Zippy the horses, a tank load of fish, 2 hamsters, a snake, a chicken coop of hens and a whole load of mink.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

My Revelation

I am going to try to tell this without offending anyone because that truly is not my intention. I just experienced my own personal revelation and wanted to share it.

I grew up in a Pentecostal church which was very charismatic. You know the kind that has 2 hour services, lots of musical instruments, hand clapping and lifting during praise and worship, lots of chorus singing and yes, even dancing at times.

So when we started at Weston Christian Fellowship it was quite a change for us. There were many reasons why we stayed and continue to do so: Initially Randy felt we should support our local church, the bible teaching is like nothing I have found anywhere else and the people that make up the church are phenomenal. The church has a real welcoming presence and we were made to feel like we belonged right away.

But....I always felt like I was missing out on something. Especially when it came time for the singing. We only used the piano and only spent a couple of minutes only singing a couple of songs. I really missed the praise and worship time I remember from the church I grew up in. Despite how much I love Weston, the preaching and the people, I was filled with a sort of discontentment. I always felt like if the church had this or that it would be so much better.

This weekend we went to church with Mom and Dad. It is a beautiful Pentecostal church with a wonderful bunch of people. They had a rip roaring praise and worship service and a nice thanksgiving message and communion. I should have been in my element right? Wrong.

While I was sitting there in the middle of the worship part of the service I realized this wasn't what I was longing for. I didn't need all the hoopla and emotionalism. I had exactly what I needed at Weston! I realized I love the evening service where Ken Kaiser chooses people from the congregation to pick their favorite song from the hymn book to sing (lots of them I don't know because we mostly sang chorus' growing up but I LOVE these beautiful hymns), I love the fact that we only have the piano so I can hear the beautiful voices singing, I love that they have a wonderful Sunday School and Awana program for my kids and I love the amazing teaching we are getting from Pastor Gary.

I can't describe the feeling that came over me at that moment but I felt that feeling of discontent leave and peace fill the space. I know Weston is not perfect but as the saying goes...the grass is not always greener on the other side. I know without a doubt that I am where I should be and now I am enjoying every moment of it. Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

  • At Thu Oct 12, 05:30:00 pm, Blogger Kim said…

    Isn't it amazing how God knows just what we need, just when we need it!

     
  • At Thu Oct 12, 09:16:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have to admit I was bracing myself. : ) I tend to get a little defensive about our church. (Actually, I tend to get a little defensive about everything, but I'm working on that.) I'm glad you love it now, too.

     
  • At Thu Oct 12, 09:20:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Kelly,
    I so enjoy reading your thoughts & thank you for sharing so personally of your faith.You have a gift for describing your heart. Sometimes we don't realize how much we are being fed by the Father until He opens our eyes in such amazing ways.Praying for you & those you love,Hugs & love, Nancy MacD

     

Post a Comment

<< Home