Ladybug Farm

Randy, Kelly, Andrew, Geoffrey, Sara, Skipper the dog, Ben, Luke and Sophie the cats, Sonny and Zippy the horses, a tank load of fish, 2 hamsters, a snake, a chicken coop of hens and a whole load of mink.

Monday, October 30, 2006

I've come a long way

Most of you remember our addition this summer, Andrew's pet snake. He is very much alive and doing quite well. He has had three sheddings and grown several inches. The boys are always bringing new snake books home from the library. They are learning so much and he keeps them fascinated by everything he does.

This is all good. Now for the bad.

He eats once or twice a week...a small baby mouse called a pinkie! The feeding process is...well.. sort of amazing. While a part of me is grossed out by it, the other part is morbidly fascinated watching as his jaws unhinge and he swallows what doesn't seem possible.

We usually buy these "pinkies" from the pet store. They come frozen and we keep them in the freezer and thaw them out as needed or rather Andrew does that part. Recently though I have been having a hard time getting them. The pet store keeps promising to get them in but then when they do they can only spare one or two.

So today I bought a female hamster...to cohabitate with our male hamster. I figure if they fall in love, get married and start raising a family, they should be able to keep us in gourmet snake meals.

I was the little girl who rescued and tried to save every hurt or injured animal, reptile, bird or insect growing up. I was constantly driving my Mom crazy with all the animals I was looking after. I am now reduced to a murdering baby snatcher. I am trying to console myself with the fact that they are just rodents, right?

The things we do for our kids. I really have come a long way....

5 Comments:

  • At Tue Oct 31, 07:47:00 am, Blogger Kim said…

    I don't know how you do it! I thought I was going to start hyperventilating when Andrew was just trying show me the new hamster yesterday! Very nice Andrew, but not so close next time!
    That being said, I would love to see the snake eat some time!

     
  • At Tue Oct 31, 08:24:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kudos to you for doing the whole snake thing. We did it with Kenny's 5th grade class once and it is a great memory. As for the pinkies, well, we had a little girl in Kenny's class who loved animals. She talked her Dad into letting her add a cat to the mix"to catch the mice". Imagine his expression when we went to visit and she proudly showed Mr. Hatt the mouse farm she was protecting for a source of food for Ginger and Sugar!
    Esther

     
  • At Tue Oct 31, 09:46:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When the snake gets a lot bigger and you need baby rabbits for it, let me know...

    Courtney

     
  • At Tue Oct 31, 10:56:00 am, Blogger Kelly said…

    Oh Courtney, I don't know if I could do the baby rabbit thing. They are just so cute!

    Feedings happen twice a week and there is no fee. All are welcome.

     
  • At Wed Nov 01, 12:07:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have to rephrase my offer: any dead baby bunnies you could have. My kids were horrified to think of a snake eating a little baby bunny, but then decided if any were born dead, the snake could have them. :)
    We'll have to come over for a feeding some time!
    Courtney

     

Post a Comment

<< Home