Ladybug Farm

Randy, Kelly, Andrew, Geoffrey, Sara, Skipper the dog, Ben, Luke and Sophie the cats, Sonny and Zippy the horses, a tank load of fish, 2 hamsters, a snake, a chicken coop of hens and a whole load of mink.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Don't look if your Squimish

This is the portocath (portable catheter) site. This was after surgery so it looks much better now. It is a funnel shapes device with a gel like top and a long tube that is inserted into one of my main arteries. The whole thing is buried under my skin just below my collar bone hence the bump under the incision (and yes that is a hint of cleavage). Chemo is very hard on your veins (and every other part of your body) so it makes it difficult to get blood from them after awhile. Last time it took them 7 tries (2 in my hand, two in my elbow, two on the top of my feet and they finally got it from my ankle) because everytime the needles punctured the veins it would cause them to shrink or shrivel. Because of that I can not longer go to the regular blood clinic and have blood drawn. The portocath can only be accessed by trained nurses or a Doctor because of the risk of infection and the process they have to use, flushing it before and after, etc. The portocath allows them to directly access the artery to take out blood and insert the chemo so it is convenient for everyone. Today went very slick and it was very convenient to be able to go to the chemo clinic in Kentville verses travelling all the way to Halifax. The staff in there were great and called me with the results of the bloodwork this afternoon. My counts were low so I am just waiting to hear from my Oncologist to see if they are an "acceptable low" or if I have to go in to see him. I'll keep your posted......... Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

  • At Tue Aug 08, 06:52:00 pm, Blogger Shannon said…

    Thanks for the explanation and the picture. We'll be waiting for the results. We pray for you every day as a family and I pray for you every time you come to mind through the day. That ends up being even more lately since you started blogging and we have more updates. :)

     
  • At Wed Aug 09, 10:32:00 pm, Blogger Christy said…

    Kelly, I have never met you, but I'm sure you've heard of us through Sharon Benson (or at least heard of Emma and Maelynn!!) But I wanted you to know that I have enjoyed getting to know you and your family through your blog. You are also in my prayers as well. I can tell that you are a wonderful influence and have shown the power and peace that comes from knowing the Lord. I will be praying for your counts and will be watching for an update. Take care and I'm sure we'll be "seeing" more of each other.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home