Ladybug Farm

Randy, Kelly, Andrew, Geoffrey, Sara, Skipper the dog, Ben, Luke and Sophie the cats, Sonny and Zippy the horses, a tank load of fish, 2 hamsters, a snake, a chicken coop of hens and a whole load of mink.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Lots a Jam

First of all I want to say how much I enjoy your comments...they either make me cry or "hold my belly cause it hurts" laugh. Tracy, the crocs come in all kinds of funky colors...hot pink, tangerine, lime, and then some more traditional colors like navy and red. If you can't get the jibbets let me know and I'll pick you up some. Yes, another convert!!!
Ok, this is a photo of two of the grossest and largest caterpillars I have every seen. We have been on the internet trying to find out what kind they are but haven't been able to identify them yet. We are going to keep them and see if they form a cocoon and what they turn into. You can't really tell from the photo but the green one has these spikes coming from it that are blue, orange and yellow. The brown one has two sets of horns in the front and one large one on its tail. It has diagonal stripes on its body. If there are any insect experts out there who could tells us what these are you would make two little boys (and one frazzled mother) very happy.

I woke up this morning and breathed a sigh of relief...the nausea, fatigue and other nasty side effects were totally gone and I finally felt like myself. So I made jam. Lots and lots of jam. Strawberry (from our orchard), blueberry, plum (just picked this morning from our orchard) and strawberry-rhubarb. I don't know why but the idea just popped into my to make some jam. Maybe its all the homemade bread that people have been giving us that just screams to be smothered in homemade jam or that all last years homemade jam is long gone or that I really enjoy making jam. I don't know but I had a very enjoyable morning in the kitchen being domestic. The smell of all that fruit cooking was heavenly and hearing all those lids popping as the seals set gave me goosebumps. Life is good !
 Posted by Picasa

9 Comments:

  • At Mon Aug 07, 04:49:00 pm, Blogger Tracing in the Valley said…

    I LOVE making jam...isn't so relaxing. I'm glad that you had fun.

     
  • At Mon Aug 07, 05:12:00 pm, Blogger Erin said…

    the jam and the dresser thingy it's on looks SO cozy! i love cozy things :) mmmm ... i may need to make some bread tonight so i can eat up the rest of my jam!

     
  • At Mon Aug 07, 06:24:00 pm, Blogger Kim said…

    I live to make jam, too, sorry, make that I love to make jam! I'm like Anne-I think typos are hilarious! So why always delete them and start again, especially when they can change the whole context of the sentence! Who lives to make jam?!
    Sorry, off on a tangent there!
    Kelly, I'm so glad you're feeling good today!

     
  • At Mon Aug 07, 06:33:00 pm, Blogger Shannon said…

    Kelly, I think you are amazing! I found it very humbling to find out what you accomplished today and all that I did not.

     
  • At Mon Aug 07, 06:45:00 pm, Blogger Tracing in the Valley said…

    I think that green caterpillar is a Cecropia Moth. They can grow to over 4 inches. I have no idea what the dark one is (might be the same thing in a different stage). James' insect book is coming in handy.

     
  • At Mon Aug 07, 09:08:00 pm, Blogger Kelly said…

    Cool!! Does it say what they like to eat...we wouldn't want to feed it the wrong leaves. Oh, but now that I know what it is I can probably look that up. Thanks a bunch.

     
  • At Mon Aug 07, 11:35:00 pm, Blogger Tracing in the Valley said…

    It's wing span will be 4-6 inches wiht speckeld gray-brown wings. It eats foliage of trees and shrubs (including ash, birch, alder, elm, maple, cherry, willow, apple and lilac). It is the largest North American moth.

     
  • At Tue Aug 08, 07:57:00 am, Blogger Kim said…

    Annette, if you're reading this, I'm so sorry I haven't e-mailed you in a while, I've kinda been caught up up in this blogging thing! I'm still thinking of you and hope everything is going well!
    Kim

     
  • At Tue Aug 08, 05:38:00 pm, Blogger Kim said…

    Kelly I just looked at the pictures of the bugs again, and I have to admit that I thought the coin was a dime, not a quarter--which probably explains why I was so surprised that they were so big. And I also just want to say that having personally met the bugs, they are the biggest and most disguting things that I have ever seen! The green one looks like a great big pickle!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home